Tuesday, October 13, 2009

On the weekend









Sunday, I met up with some friends at a chiringuito to "cook" (I just cut up vegetables and stirred the food cooking in the pots on the stove) setas 'mushrooms'. It was quite the experience and I enjoyed myself immensely. A chiringuito, as I understood it, is a house where people gather to eat or just spend time together. These houses can be located anywhere: on the beach, in the mountains, on the countryside, etc. As you can see from the pictures, this was a pretty nice chiringuito. It was spacious with an open floor plan. There was a kitchen, and then a big gathering room downstairs. The upstairs was not partioned and was being used as storage for the peña's stuff. A peña is an association of people who get together to eat in these chiringuitos. I'm sure there's more to the word, but for this post that definition will suffice.

Anyway, the meat of this post is that setas are the speciality in this region. So we used setas to cook the entire dinner. We made arroz con leche with setas, lomillos planchados with setas, tortilla 'omelet' with potatoes and setas, and appetizers with setas. The only thing that we didn't make out of mushrooms was the drink. I will say that as odd as it was to have dessert made from mushrooms, the whole dinner was delicious. Definitely one of the best ones that I've had since I've been here.

What can I say, Sunday was good. Good food and even better company. What more could I ask for?

No comments:

Post a Comment