Every now and then, my housemate refers to some Spanish idioms that have been translated to English and laughs about how funny they are while I'm at a loss as to what they mean. So, I've taken the liberty of posting the idiom, it's English translation, and what it means (based on what I've been able to find on the internet).
1. Se te ha ido la olla: Your pan has gone
To go crazy.
2. Mi gozo en un pozo: My happiness in a well.
My hopes were crushed/just my luck/my luck went south/things didn't turn out the way I would have hoped.
3. Compuesto y sin novia: Composed and without a girlfriend.
Ready to go, but missing an important piece. To be left high and dry.
4. La madre que lo/te/me pario: The mother who gave birth to him/you/me
Son of a gun. Can be used to express frustration, surprise, or anger. Depending on the context, it can have a meaning stronger than "son of a gun."
5. Vamos, no me jodas: Let's go. Don't fuck me.
Come on. Stop kidding around. Or, are you serious?
6. Marcando paquete: Marking parcel.
Showing off one's package/family jewels/male genitalia.
7. Marica de playa: Sissy of the beach
Refers to the overly muscular guys that you find at the beach prancing around in their revealing beach wear and showing off their muscles.
8. Marica el ultimo: Sissy the last
Last one's a sissy.
9. Apaga y vamanos: Switch off and let's go.
Enough already; Let's call it a wrap; I rest my case (when used to express
10. Meter un puro: To put in a cigar
To sanction someone; to punish someone.
11. Salir por piernas: Go out by legs
To make a hasty/speedy exit; to leave quickly in the face of danger or an uncomfortable situation.
12. Cantamanana: Morning singer
A fly by night; a wreckless, loquacious person, a bull shitter, a rascal, a ruffian.
13. Por si las moscas: For if the flies
Just in case.
14. No es moco de pavo: It is not turkey mucus.
Used to signal that something is important.
15. Me la suda (vulgar): It sweats me.
It's all the same to me.
16. Tienes mas cuento que Calleja: You have more story than Calleja
The stories or excuses that you give ring a bit false, seem exaggerated.
Will add more another day.
How to Conquer the City of Berlin: A Visitor’s Guide
14 hours ago