Friday, September 25, 2009

Pictures, an explanation

So I've come to the realization that I'm not disciplined enough to keep up a blog.
Laziness + unreliable internet access = no posts.
I'll try and fix this, but as things stand now, this is truth.

I arrived in Spain, in Madrid on the 11th of September, spent the night there, and left Saturday morning for San Leonardo de Yague, Soria. The pictures in the post below are from the town where I'm currently staying.

Well, what can I say? It has been a pretty good experience so far. I spent the first three days here in a hostel, met a really nice girl who became my roommate, and have been settled, relatively, ever since. The apartment has 4 bedrooms, and two bathrooms, so we each get two bedrooms and our own bathroom. Pretty sweet! The only downside is that I don't have internet at home.

Anyway, I moved in and since then, my roommate and I have been communicating with each other in Spanglish or Espanglish as she says. I'm crossing my fingers that by the end of my term here, my Spanish would have vastly improved.

I started "working" on the 15th of September and so far, so good. The kids are pretty cool and even though most don't speak much English, they seem fairly eager to learn. I was kind of taken aback when I met some of them because I didn't know that high school in Spain started at 11 or 12. Thus, I walked into class and had about a dozen pre-teen eyes peering at me. Cute. It's been a looooong time since I was a pre-teen or even a teenager for that matter (I'm not trying to give away my age), so I had forgotten what kids like to do. Here, they like to ride their bikes around town, hang out with their friends, and visit the ruins of a castle that lie just beyond the pueblo. Their childhood kind of seems like the kind that you read about in storybooks, very innocent and fun. I've probably judged it to simplistically but time will tell.

Anyway, that's all I can think of at the moment. Will write more later.

No comments:

Post a Comment