Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Like a rolling stone...

I hope that it's not too soon to declare that everything works out in the end.

Earlier this year, I had applied for two summer internships abroad. Both were offered by AVSI, an Italian NGO committed to development work in developing countries. One internship was in Nairobi, Kenya, the other, in Oaxaca, Mexico. Well, I ended up getting the internship to work with DIJO in Oaxaca, and I was all set to go until swine flu hit. I wasn't afraid, but my parents nipped those plans in the bud. I was bummed. I really enjoyed Mexico the last time I was there. I found the people to be friendly and the locales that I visited, beautiful. Though this wasn't the main reason I was disappointed. I was really excited to work with the children at the internship. I was certain that it was going to be a great experience.

But it didn't work out.

Around the same time, I applied for a teaching job in Spain. I didn't get it at first, but late in June, I was offered a position. Pretty sweet! And so the ball was put in motion for my move to Spain. As I went through the paper work for the program, specifically getting medical clearance, I couldn't help but think how much more difficult things would have been had I actually gone to Mexico this summer. I really tried to convince my parents to let me go, and I suppose I can now say, luckily to no avail.

And so now I can continue with my plans to be a rolling stone. My (pipe) dream for the next few years is to travel from place to place. What I will do in each new place, heaven only knows. Will this dream materialize? If God wills it.


No comments:

Post a Comment